Wild Mushroom Soup



I'm not sure when it started, but I've been harboring a love for wild mushrooms, and I'm happy to play around with new ways to prepare them. I decided to make a soup with mushrooms last night because it's starting to get frigid in Paris and I find that the best thing on a winter evening is a hot bowl of home-made soup.  Fortunately, this dish is extremely simple to make (as I find most soups are). 


Next time I make it, I will probably play around with the types of mushrooms I use, and I definitely think I will try making this with several different kinds of mushrooms (button, wild, oyster, etc.).  I hope this will at least provide a good starting off point for you, if not the final destination!  Eat while hot and please enjoy it tremendously.

Wild Mushroom Soup - serves 1

1 tbsp. olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
1 cup wild mushrooms, washed and sliced
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tsp. chopped fresh thyme
1 1/4-cup beef broth
2 tablespoons milk (optional)

1. Heat olive oil in a small saucepan over medium-high heat.
2.  Add onions, and sautee until onion softens slightly, about 5 minutes.
3.  Add the mushrooms, sprinkle generously with salt and pepper, and sautee until mushrooms have softened and just begin to crisp, about 10 minutes.
4.  Put in the garlic and thyme, and sautee one minute.
5.  Pour in the beef broth, and bring to a simmer; reduce heat to low, and cook gently for about 20 minutes more.
6.  Transfer soup to a blender or food processor, and blend for about 10 seconds.
7.  Return to the saucepan and heat gently; add milk if using.  Cook until hot, sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste, and serve.

0 comments:

Post a Comment