Creamy Broccoli Soup


Ingredients: Broccoli, Onion, Chicken Broth, Heavy Cream, Gruyere Cheese


I originally started this blog because, after living in New York last year and eating take-out a little too often, and after getting much more interested in cooking and excited about the amazing food available in Paris, I realized how rewarding it is to be able to make meals for myself.  I moved to Paris with the hope of showing others how simple it is to cook good food.

So I created this blog because I want people like me, who are maybe intimidated by cooking or think it's easier to just order in, to try their hand at some simple yet delicious recipes.  I really believe cooking for yourself is one of the best things you can do for your health, and I would be thrilled to find that people are starting to cook based on the recipes I provide here!

With that said, I'm starting a series of recipes which will each include only five ingredients or less.  They will still be yummy, but also cost- and time-efficient.  Cooking is not difficult and can be really rewarding when you find out what delicous food you can make!

I'm starting this journey with broccoli and gruyere soup, which I was happily dreaming about during my trip from Boston back to Paris.  Broccoli soup brings back memories of curling up with a big bowl, a good hunk of bread, and enjoying a perfect winter meal.  The earthy, tangy flavor of broccoli becomes milder and pairs so well with cream and cheese, which is why this soup doesn't need a lot to make it fantastic.  So enjoy, and if you have any suggestions or ideas, please feel free to share them with me - I'm always looking for new inspiration!!

Creamy Broccoli Soup - serves 1

10 oz broccoli, cut into small florets
1/4 onion, chopped (you can save the rest for another use in the fridge)
1 1/2 cup chicken broth
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup grated gruyere cheese

1.  Bring the chicken broth to a boil in a small saucepan; add the broccoli and onion, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and simmer until the vegetables are tender, about 15 minutes.
2.  Let the vegetables cool for a moment, then puree in a blender.
3.  Return the puree back to the saucepan, put the heat on medium-low, and add the cream. 
4.  Once it's hot, whisk the cheese in slowly, until fully combined.  Season to taste with salt and pepper.


Enjoy!! So tomorrow I'm thinking of making bacon-wrapped monkfish (again with 5 ingredients or less) - thoughts?  Any suggestions?

Additionally, I'd like to try my hand at recipes that take 10 minutes or less to make (once this series is over) - please let me know if there are other recipe guidelines you think are worth trying!

0 comments:

Post a Comment