Millionaire Biscuits



So I'm feeling pretty lucky these days, mainly thanks to this sweet internship I landed at Elle magazine.  To be honest I usually don't feel comfortable talking about it to anyone because I don't want to jinx any of the amazing opportunities I've had.  Two weeks ago I assisted a photo shoot for a beauty special for the magazine, and last week I was invited to two fashion shows during Paris fashion week (one of which I was able to bring my mom to!).  I'm currently battling a strong anxiety over the fear that one day I'll wake up and Elle magazine will tell me they don't want me anymore, because they realize that I have no qualifications whatsoever for this position.

In the meantime, however, I'll go along for the ride.  One other perk of this job is that my wonderful boss knows that I love food, and kindly recommended me to the editor in chief of Elle a Table, Elle's cooking magazine in Paris, to translate several recipes.  My translation work is what led me to discover this gem of a recipe, which is just as decadent and rich as the name suggests.  It consists of three individual layers, a pastry crust, a thick layer of dulce de leche, and a milk chocolate on top, which each provide a unique consistency and flavor, and are each extremely easy to put together.  Unfortunately this isn't a practical recipe to make for yourself, but I think if you make these for your friends or for your office, you might just be a little more popular that day!

One thing I realized while translating these recipes is that the majority of the occidental world uses the metric system, while in America we use some crazy units, the origins of which I can not for the life of me discern.  Why do we use ounces, when grams make so much more sense? In any case, I've noticed that some people from around the world are reading this blog (thank you soooooo much), so from now on I'm going to put both metric and U.S. units for measurements.

Merci, a bientot!


Millionaire Biscuits - makes about 12 cookies/biscuits
adapted from Elle a Table, No. 69, Mars-Avril 2010, p. 75


1 1/4-cup (175g) flour
4 tbsp brown sugar (white sugar is OK)
1 stick (125g) + 4 tbsp (55g) butter
14 fluid ounces/40 cl sweetened condensed milk
7 fluid ounces/20 cl unsweetened condensed milk
7 oz / 200 g milk chocolate

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
1.  Butter a 9-inch/23-cm square baking dish.
2.  Cut the butter into small pieces.  In a medium to large bowl, mix the flour with the butter, and work together with your hands until combined and a pastry crust has formed.
3.  Add the sugar and mix well to get a uniform pastry.
4.  Spread the crust in the baking dish, pierce several times with a fork, and bake until golden, about 20 minutes.  Let cool to room temperature.
5.  In a small saucepan, heat the butter and the condensed milks over high heat, stirring constantly, until everything starts to boil.
6.  Reduce the temparature and simmer, stirring frequently, until mixture thickens and forms a caramel, about 20 minutes.
7.  Spread the caramel over the cooled pastry crust and let cool.
8.  Melt the chocolate in a small saucepan, and once entirely melted, pour over the caramel in the baking dish.  Chill in the refrigerator until chocolate harden, then cut into small serving pieces.

0 comments:

Post a Comment