Fresh Zucchini with Sliced Almonds and Parmesan


I wish I could take the credit for this brilliant dish, which, in all its simplicity, still manages to provide strong flavors of salty, nutty, sweet, and tangy.  With only four ingredients, it is a simple and remarkably fast meal which can constitute either a lunch, light dinner, or starter.  I really do wish I came up with it, as it's pure genius.  However, I owe the creation of this recipe to Jimmy Bradley and Danny Abrams, the chefs/co-owners of Red Cat Restaurant in the chelsea area of New York.  The first time I tried this at the restaurant I knew I would have to go back and try it again soon.  I nearly bowled over when I found out how easy it is to make!




I'd also like to add that I decided to make this recipe to start a new series of recipes, which all can be made in 20 minutes or less.  However, this lucky dish happens to qualify for both the 5-ingredients-or-less category and the one just mentioned above.  And I imagine this overlapping will happen often, as these categories are more mutually inclusive than exclusive.  Nevertheless, please enjoy, eat well, and live happily!

Fresh Zucchini with Sliced Almonds and Parmesan - serves 1

1 tablespoon olive oil
2 fresh zucchini, peeled, ends chopped off, and cut into 1/2-inch long matchsticks
3 tablespoons blanched, slivered almonds
1/4-cup (or about 10 pieces) of parmesan slices (can be made with a vegetable peeler)

1.  Heat olive oil in a large skillet over high heat.  Once hot, add the zucchini, sprinkle with a good dash of salt and a sprinkle of pepper, and sautee until zucchini is just starting to color, about 3 minutes.
2.  Add the slivered almonds; sautee until almonds just begin to color and zucchini is slightly golden, about 2 minutes more.
3.  Transfer to a plate; sprinkle with additional salt and pepper to taste; top with parmesan and serve.

0 comments:

Post a Comment