Chickpea Salad with Feta, Herbs, and Tomato


I got the inspiration for this salad from Jamie Oliver's cookbook, Jamie's Dinners.  Since I had a leftover can of chickpeas from when I made felafel, I decided to try out this recipe to bring to a friends apartment as an accompaniment for dinner (I was heading to my fellow foodie friend Carly's place, who I am so grateful to have found in Paris - she is equally fanatical about food and will go to great lengths to ensure that all of her meals are delicious).  Essentially, this salad is very easy to assemble, refreshing, and healthy.  The lemon dressing and fresh herbs add a light and earthy touch to the plate, which is a great side dish to just about any meal, be it roast chicken, veggies, or meat.  It can certainly be eaten alone for lunch, an afternoon snack, or a light dinner.  J’espère qu’elle va vous plaire!

Chickpea Salad - serves 1-2
Although I made this salad in the fall, and it was tasty, I imagine this would be outstanding in summer when tomatoes are at their ripest. 

1 7-oz. can chickpeas
6-7 cherry tomatoes
1 tbsp chopped basil
1 tbsp chopped parsley
1/2 of a lemon, or a whole one (depending on how much you want in your dressing)
1 tbsp olive oil
2 oz. feta, crumbled

1.  Drain and rinse the chickpeas; dry with paper towels
2.  Place chickpeas, tomatoes, herbs and feta in a medium bowl.
3.  Squeeze juice of 1/2 of the lemon over the salad, pour in the olive oil, add a pinch each of salt and pepper, and toss thoroughly. Taste, and adjust the seasoning as necessary. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment