Pissaladière

This dish is wonderful. It's certainly not for those with a mild palette, as this pizza-like pie has a strong taste coming from salty anchovy fillets and nicoise olives. But in combination with caramelized onions, the taste is so unique and incredible and all I could think the whole time I was eating it was, I am so happy that food can actually taste this good.


I made a couple of changes which may or may not appeal to you. First, since pissaladière comes from the niçoise region of France, this recipe calls for niçoise olives. However, I only had kalamata olives, so I used those instead. Tant pis.


Additionally, I have to say that I am not a huge fan of the crust. Firstly, because it is really rich, being made with butter, shortening, and flour, it makes the dish much heavier than it needs to be. Secondly, I didn't find that the crust was a necessary component to the dish. This afternoon for lunch I reheated the Pissaladiere in the oven for five minutes, then wiped off the toppings and ate them with a fresh baguette - this was much more suitable to my tastes.



Plus, without making the crust, this dish is a cinch to make. It is very healthy, consisting of olive oil, olives, anchovies, onions, and herbs, and is very filling and satisfying. I highly recommend it!!

So bon appétit, and if you have any questions, concerns, or comments, please contact me!!


To make the pissaladière, you will need about 2 pounds chopped onions, 2 unpeeled garlic cloves, a bouquet garni consisting of 1 bay leaf, 3 sprigs fresh thyme, and 4 sprigs fresh parsley, salt, pepper, ground cinnamon or cloves, 14 nicoise olives (or other black brine-cured olives), and 8 anchovy fillets.


Heat the oven to about 400 degrees (although I'm going to be honest, I have this sorry excuse for an oven, it's more of a toaster oven, so I just crank it to the highest possible heat and hope for the best).

Heat about 3 tablespoons of olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat, and add the onions, unpeeled garlic cloves, and the bouquet garni (To make a bouquet garni, wrap up the thyme and parsley in the bay leaf and wrap it up in cheese cloth). Season with salt and stir. Sautée for about 30 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium low, and sautée for an additional 30 minutes, stirring often.


Once the onions are browned, take them off of the heat and discard the garlic cloves and the bouquet garni. Add a pinch of cinnamon or ground cloves, and pepper to taste. Line an 8-inch pie dish with aluminum foil, and spread the onions over the pie dish. Spread the anchovy slivers over the onions in a fan, and sprinkle the olives on top. Drizzle about 1 more tablespoon of olive oil over the dish, and place in the oven for about 15 minutes.


Pop it out, and eat with a fresh baguette. Wait for it, because your stomach and mind will go crazy over the amazing flavors.

0 comments:

Post a Comment