Simple Tiramisu


Leaving for Paris tomorrow night - I'm so excited I think I could jump out my skin! So, to calm my nerves a bit I decided to make a tiramisu, which I made for the first time last week. And may I just say that this tiramisu is amazing, maybe one of the best I've tried. When I served it last week, one of the responses I got was that it was the best tiramisu this person has tried in his life, but I didn't believe it for a second;  that's a very nice compliment but yeah right.


However, when I tried it myself the next night (after the flavors were able to marry and really complement each other) I couldn't help but let out a long "mmmmmmm." This stuff is good, the real deal.


And the best part is, it's frighteningly easy to make. Total prep time is about 25 minutes, then you pop it in the fridge for about 6 hours to harden the eggs. Anyone you serve this to will, after immediately diving his or her fork in for another bite, assume that this took quite a lot of time to make, which is not true at all. The only extra equipment you'll need is a handheld or standing mixer, and three medium- to large-size bowls to beat the eggs and cream.


This tiramisu can serve between 4-6 people, but I think it's just as nice to make it for myself, and have a little bit every day for dessert (it lasts in the fridge for about a week, and as I mentioned earlier, it gets much better as time goes on). 


Enjoy!



Simple Tiramisu (serves however many people you feel like being generous to, up to 6)

3 eggs, separated
3/4 cup granulated sugar
8 oz. mascarpone cheese
1/2 cup heavy cream
2 cups espresso or very strong brewed coffee, brought to room temperature
2 tbsp. marsala cooking wine
20 small ladyfingers
cocoa powder for dusting


1. Beat the yolks in a large bowl with 1/2 cup sugar until light-colored and thick, 2-3 minutes.  Beat in mascarpone until just combined. 
2. Clean off the beaters and in another bowl, beat the egg whites with a dash of salt until soft peaks form





3. Add the remaining 1/4 cup sugar and beat until stiff peaks form




4. Clean off the beaters, and in another bowl beat the cream until soft peaks form (you can whip the cream faster if you stick the bowl in the freezer for a couple of minutes).
5. Gently fold the cream into the yolk and mascarpone mixture until just combined, then add the egg whites and fold in until just combined


6. In a medium bowl mix the marsala wine and the espresso together.
7. Dip one ladyfinger in the mixture and hold it in there for about 3 seconds, then place it in a 9 x 5 inch loaf pan, cross-wise. Repeat with 9 more ladyfingers or until the bottom of the loaf is covered with ladyfiners.
8. Spread a thick layer of the mascarpone mixture over the ladyfingers - put as much or as little cream as you want, but remember to save enough for one more layer!



9. Repeat step 7 with the remaining ladyfingers, then spread another mascarpone layer on top. Put in the fridge for 6 hours to harden a little (the first time I made it I took it out too early b/c I was impatient, and the mascarpone mixture was too runny - tasted amazing but wasn't such a pretty sight).

When you want to eat it, dust some shaved chocolate or sift some cocoa powder on top, et voila! Bon appetit mes amis, see you in Pareee!

1 comments:

yasmin said...

I just tried it and it was delicious!!! Thank you for that and the roulette, it was incredible!! yayy real food! love you!

Post a Comment